Friday, October 21, 2005

Portland!

I work for a company that loves acronyms.

My old job was in a department called RBU; my team was RD. Actually, it was originally LD, but we re-orged....thus, RD. I designed training for employees of FCs, including PFRs, LPFRs, FCMs, AFCMs and HIPs. A majority of my work consisted of designing training entitled FOCL, DOT (later renamed SIT, which had an OAT component), RFFC and SP (later renamed SE). Another team was bombarded by a huge project referred to as SBB (later shortened to SB, for ease of pronunciation). And yet another team is currently working on NAP, FLB, FLBMA and TS (not to mention the 40 other classes, all of which have their own cute little acronyms).

I just trasfered to a department that delivers training to employees of LFCs, and the majority of our audience are SLCs. They are familiar with BEDE, and we train them about VB. But sometimes, I guess, we train them about JDC. But only in certain regions. Normally they work on files sent to them from the HLCs (not to be confused with the CLPCs), but the training I will do highlights files sent to them by the FCs. I think...? We also talk about how to communicate with the DCC during class. Heaven help me.

So, given this, is it any wonder that, 45 minutes into the road trip to Portland - my FIRST DAY ON THE JOB, mind you - I asked "So....why is it that are we going to Portland, again....?". I thought it was a perfectly valid question. My new co-workers (Aaron and Chad) thought it was hysterical.

Anyways, the trip was great, and I am very excited to FINALLY be writing a blog about my travels (which is why I started this whole thing to begin with!). However, given that the trip was a short one to Portland (which I have already visited; same for Aaron and Chad) I didn't take many pictures. In fact, there were exactly 3 pictures on my camera when I arrived back in Seattle.

The first was of me and my lovely friend Chelsea. Chelsea was kind enough to meet me, Aaron and Chad for drinks and food upon our arrival to Portland. It was wonderful to see her and catch up. Chelsea is currently in the midst of applying for psychology internships (the cool doctorate ones), and so I was very, very glad that she was able to meet up. Chelsea, you're fantastic!

Me and Chelsea, during my first night in Portland!

The second picture was of Aaron and Chad (taken the same night), but unfortunately it didn't turn out. Even with my impressive photo editing skills, all you could see were two noses, some teeth and a shirt collar. Dang it. Next trip I will try to get a better one.

Anyways, my first day on the job was pretty hard. I rode in a car for 3 hours, and then had dinner with a good friend. (I'm being facetious, for you literal readers out there).

The second day was much more difficult. A half hour into the class we discoved none of the passwords worked for the system we were training. Therefore, nobody could log onto VB. So Chad contacted TSG and asked them to fix the problem. He was refered to DS. While DS was working on the problem, the class was dismissed and we trainers spent the remainder of the day doing important things such as playing Text Twist, reading the Seattle Times Online and checking our frequent flyer miles. Then, the REAL fun began!

I think I'll leave out the details regarding the real fun, other than to say we had a heck of a lot of fun! Early on in the night, however, we passed under a hotel sign that reduced me to delighted and immature giggles, and resulted in my third and final Portland picture.

Not necessarily a classy picture. But I grew up in a town called Kent, so I thought it was kind of funny. "Kent HO".... Haha! HA!

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. The password situation was finally resolved, and the rest of the class went well. Oh! And one night we had dinner at this tiny hole in wall Mexican/Peruvian restuarant. They had the BEST enchiladas I've ever had, which is strange given that I was in Oregon, which is not necessarily known for it's Mexican cuisine. Go figure.

Alrighty, I guess that's about it for my Portland re-cap.

Next stop(s): Colorado, Pittsburgh and Boston! Woo hoo!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home